You are here: Forums

WWPToday Chat

All posts will be screened by the moderator for compliance with our rules. This forum is open for public discussions ONLY. Forum rules are available here. You may contact wwptoday with any questions here. Your registered username will appear as the poster.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.

Notification

Icon
Error

Vole infestation HELP!
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2002 9:49:17 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Help! I have a vole infestation in my yard. oR I think that is what I have. I see several tracks in my grass like tunnels. I beleave it is due to voles. A vole is a small rodent similar to a mouse. Has anyone delt with this problem? If so, how did you get rid of them? Advice is appreciated.
#2 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2002 5:37:01 AM(UTC)

I used the traps from Raid with the green pellets inside. You open them up, the animal eats the pellets, goes off and is never seen again. Works great for chipmunks, etc. too.
#4 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2002 5:37:01 AM(UTC)

I used Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum. It has to be the Juicy Fruit. You take a stick of gum and roll it into a ball and push it down in to the tunnels. The voles supposedly eat the gum and it expands in their stomach. We had quite a few tunnels and I tried the "gum" suggestion. It worked for us. I also know of neighbors who contracted with exterminators. It took the exterminator several visits before the voles were gone. The gum is worth a try. Remember "JUICY FRUIT"!!
#5 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2002 5:37:01 AM(UTC)

Lucar Hardware had an article that Jucyfruit gum takes care of them Lucar is on RTE 571 ask them.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 26, 2002 5:18:52 PM(UTC)

I also had a vole infestation last year. Someone told me about Juicy Fruit Gum and I used it. I was told to take the outer wrapper off but leave the gum in the foil wrapper and place in the holes. The foil is supposed to attract the vole and upon eating the gum, it chokes them. It seems to have worked. I did not see any this fall or winter where I had jigsaw puzzles all over my lawn last winter.
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 03, 2002 2:03:17 PM(UTC)

We found the holes in the mulch and placed mouse traps with peanut butter. Obviously this kills them and eventually they left the area.
#9 Posted : Monday, March 04, 2002 1:36:44 AM(UTC)

My lawn seems fine but I do see that muched areas around bushes and trees are disturbed. I assumed it was squarrels digging for acorns? How can you really tell if a Vole is on your property? Again my grass looks ok. Thanks
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2002 9:36:48 PM(UTC)

Any questions you have about gardening will be cheerfully and knowledgably answered when you call the "Mercer County Master Gardener Helpline". 609-989-6853 MON, TUE, THU, FRI 9A-3P Moles and voles are two different animals. If you have tunnels in your lawn, they are most likely moles. Moles live underground. They primarily eat grubs, so if you have them, you have grubs in your lawn. The tunnels can be unsightly, and can damage grass -- as can the grubs. Grubs can be treated chemically, and without the grubs to eat, the moles will move to your neighbor's lawn. Some people have had success using castor oil in the tunnel entrances. Moles do not eat bulbs, plants or roots. Voles are a kind of field mouse. If you have tunnels in your flower beds or damage to your bed plants, then you probably have voles. They are plant eaters, and will eat your plants and the bark of your ornamental trees and shrubs. THEY LOVE THE COVER OF DEEP MULCH. Mulch beds no more than 4". You can protect your trees and shrubs by keeping mulch away from the trunks. You can trap voles with snap traps baited with peanut butter or apple slices. Or perhaps ask your neighbors' cat to patrol your garden. Haven't heard of the juicy fruit remedy but gum will kill wildlife -- including birds.
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2002 7:50:09 PM(UTC)

The only environmentally friendly way to eliminate the mole is to trap it.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2002 1:06:45 PM(UTC)

We too have found lots of holes in our mulch but just thought that they were made by mice, a logical assumption since our property is adjacent to a woodsy area. It is interesting to find out that they were probably made by voles. Well,we did nothing about the holey mulch situation and to date, have had no problems with our bushes or trees (however we do not have any ornamental trees). I need to pose the question: Isn't there some way of protecting the trees, rather than killing the animals? Isn't there some protective wrapping or something that you can put around the small trees? Intentionally choking animals with gum or peanut butter sounds incredibly gruesome and potentially unnecessary(?).
Rss Feed  Atom Feed